Re: Re: CULT: help - aphid predators?

From: Dennis Kramb <dkramb@badbear.com>

>From: linda Mann <lmann@mailhub.icx.net>
>
>Thanks all for the suggestions for aphid repellants.
>
>But I am still interested in learning more about aphid ecology and
>predators.  Not necessarily as a solution to the current existing
>infestation, but for future plans.  Any suggestions?
>
>Linda Mann east Tennessee USA

The only aphid predators active this time of year are daddy long-legs.
Excuse me for not knowing their scientific name (I'm not an entomologist
after all) but I do know that the latin translation for their name means
"aphid sucker".

Interplant your iris beds with a diverse array of other plants to privde a
home for the daddy long-legs.  Some companion plants that work well for me
are:
	yarrow (Achillea spp.)
	columbine (Aquilegia spp.)
	bee balm (Monarda spp.)  - placed in back of bed
	tickseed (Coreopsis spp.)
	black eyed susans (Rudbeckia spp.)
	mexican hats (Ratibida spp.)
	coneflowers (Echinacea spp.)
	violas (Viola spp.)
	mint (Nepeta spp.) - highly invasive!
	pot marigolds (Calendula oficianalis)
		- mine were still in bloom until this week!
	butterfly weed (Asclepias tuberosa)
	butterfly bush (Buddleia davdii)

Of course, most of these are not evergreen, but their dead leaves & stems
still provide shelter for the beneficial daddy long-legs.

Earwigs might possibly eat aphids too.  They would also be active during
warm winter days, like daddy long-legs.  They love to live among leaf
litter & rotting plant material.

Dennis Kramb; dkramb@badbear.com
http://www.badbear.com/dkramb/home.html