Re: CULT: Planting in Missouri

From: HIPSource@aol.com

In a message dated 12/22/99 1:29:34 AM Eastern Standard Time,
kurtzeman@uswest.net writes:

<<  I was talking of tall bearded. >>

Jeff, I'm hoping someone with more Missouri-specific information will pipe up
for you,  but since the list is quiet I will offer some generalities.

The guideline as I have learned it is that digging and dividing with replant
to follow should occur in the period starting six weeks after bloom and
ending six weeks before hard freeze.

If you are planting rhizomes received from elsewhere they also need to be
planted in plenty of time for them to become established before hard freeze.
Rhizomes which have not gotten their roots down are vulnerable to being
heaved, and are vulnerable to being frozen.

If plants are dug too soon after bloom, the bloom of the subsequent year may
be affected. If the rhizomes are planted at the end of the period I have
described, there may be less bloom as well.

So the optimum time is, in theory, six to ten weeks after bloom, with the
acceptable time frame generally extending about a month longer, and longer
still in warmer climates. In practice, people do the best they can and learn
the limits in their own garden and their own growing season. I, for instance,
loose the sun on one bed early in the autumn so I have learned to deal with
that one sooner rather than later.

In some situations this time frame will not be convenient, as when intense
heat or drought is present, or when the bed is not ready, or when one is
waiting for rhizomes to arrive from several places so as to plant them all at
once. While TB rhizomes can be held out of the ground for several weeks with
no ill effects, some people prefer to plant the rhizomes in pots, and
transplant them into the garden at a more convenient time after their roots
form. Some believe this gives rhizomes an especially good start. Potted
plants should also be planted in time to settle in before the really severe
weather arrives.

I hope this is of some help.

Anner Whitehead
HIPSource@aol.com