CULT: viruses

From: vince lewonski <vincelewonski@yahoo.com>

> John Montgomery wrote:
> > There are no cures for viruses but in almost all
> instances they do little long
> > term harm.  Humans do not die as a rule when they catch
> a virus.  Neither do
> > most plants.  The best treatment for virus in plants is
> to do nothing.  If the
> > plant dies you can be sure that was a fitting end for
> it no matter whether it
> > cost two dollars or two hundred.
   V. sez:

   Viruses can do damage even if they do not kill the host.
Some viruses in irises appear to be permanent, even though
the plant does not die. I have one called MING DYNASTY,
which is famous for having a virus that causes the yellow
falls to have red spots - like a colorbreaker pattern. See
WOI for a photo of this with no virus. I have seen this
knocked out of blue ribbon contention at shows, since it is
infected, and therefore does not show cultural perfection.
The virus appears to be there permanently, and shows up in
every flower, and passes the virus down to its increase.
   There are two intros from a local hybridizer that appear
to have a virius that infects the leaves, leaving them with
yellow streaks. Normal spraying for leaf spot does not get
rid of this. One of these irises is a seedling, and may
never be introduced as a result, despite having other good
garden qualities. This virus is also passed on to the
   Some of these viruses appear to be incurable, even
though they do not result in death to the plant.

Vince Lewonski
Secane, PA  Zone 6

"It's the end of the world as we know it,
but I feel fine!!!"
Do You Yahoo!?