Re: HYB: more on TBs in SDB breeding

From: DWiris@aol.com

In a message dated 12/28/99 1:00:41 PM Pacific Standard Time,
lmann@mailhub.icx.net writes:

<< According to the Book, most SDBs bred since the early 70s have
 been bred among themselves rather than adding new TB blood.  So the
 background of MELODIC is apparently fairly typical - all of the TBs I
 mentioned in the previous post were involved in crosses prior to 1970.
 TWOI specifically mentions SNOW FLURRY, MINNIE COLQUITT, and PINK CAMEO
 as being important TBs in early breeding of SDBs.  It also mentions Cook
 1546 as an important pumila parent (but also says it is descended from
 the 'natural' 36n AZUREA - I'm not sure what the implications of that
 are).

 I also learned that CARPATHIA is a cultivar name, not a species. >>
Hi again Linda,
I should have read all the replies before ansering a day late.  We have
introduced a couple of SDBs that were crosses of TB X I. pumila.  Off hand I
think of Landerwood and Mister Roberts.  Some others were used as parents,
but not introduced.  Carpathia is one of the pumilas that we used.  It is
pure I. pumila.  Azurea is in the background of some of our MDBs through Cook
1546.  It is considered to be a natural hybrid of I. pumila (32 chr,) and
another dwarf species with 40 chr.
Dorothy Willott