Re: OT: Happy 2000!

From: GWhite & LRader <bentfork@navix.net>

Happy New Year to all,

    I was reading "Iris-Talk" e-mail, watching the millenium
celebrations around the world, and thinking of irises (not necessarily
in that order).  It occurred to me that upon the STROKE OF MIDNIGHT, we
could be saying either "Love those CITY LIGHTS" or  " HELLO DARKNESS".

    My thoughts were on siberians when I saw the very first sunrise of
the new millenium just now (on CNN) over an ATOLL, called Millenium
Island, - the sun blazing in the BLUE SKIES of the pacific. Earlier, the
HAPPY EVENT of the new year made it to Tonga, then to New Zealand, where
the fireworks pierced the HARBOR MIST of Auckland's bay.  Chris, I agree
that the fireworks display in Sidney was a real VISUAL TREAT.  It was
BELLISSIMA ! Those of you in Oz have outdone yourselves.  And there was
a definite GLOW OF HAPPINESS in Tokyo as the huge gong was sounded at
the MIDNIGHT HOUR (oh, a TB slipped in) there.    Then on to Beijing and
Hong Kong, where another FRIENDLY WELCOME was made to 2000.  The chinese
really have HIGH STANDARDS when it comes to fireworks and a parade.
This was a DRAMATIC PRELUDE to what is to come in points east and across
    I will have to catch the rest later.  Will the LIGHTS OF PARIS stay
lit? Will London be REDDY TO GO?  Will there be a DANGER ZONE as time
marches on today?  SHALL WE DANCE to the beginning of a new century as
it reaches the United States?  I'm hoping for a ROSY OUTLOOK for the
next hundred years.
    I'M JUST BLUE that I have to work tonight (would rather HELICOPTER
my way to Times Square).  I won't be partaking of any CHILLED WINE.  But
JUST BECAUSE this event will not come this way EVER AGAIN  in my
lifetime, I may  have some non-alcoholic SPARKLING ROSE to celebrate
and  REMEMBER the AMAZEMENT of it all !!

    In any case, I hope that the new millenium will finally bring PEACE
ON EARTH (another TB) for all of us.  May all of you have a great New

Gary White
Lincoln, Nebraska    Zone 5, but expecting 55F today

Sign up for eLerts at: