Re: SPEC: I. cretensis

From: Dennis Kramb <dkramb@badbear.com>

>From: Tmilchh@aol.com
>     Your pictures are lovely on Iris-photo. And yes I am envious. Where did
>you get your Iris cretensis that blooms December through February?
>     Annette Milch      TMilchh@aol.com       Lexington, Kentucky     Zone 5/6

I got my Iris cretensis last year when I went to Greece.  I've never seen
it for sale in the USA but it is closely related to Iris unguicularis which
is available from time to time.  Both of them are winter bloomers.  They
are hardy to about Zone 9 or 10, so up here you have to grow them in
containers and bring them indoors when it gets down to about 20 deg F.
They definitely need cold weather to get them to bloom.  I'd say they need
at least 4-8 weeks of near freezing temps...maybe even more?  I'm taking
mine back outdoors for the next week because the weather is supposed to be
so nice.

Dennis Kramb; dkramb@badbear.com