Re: SPEC: I. cretensis

From: Gerry Snyder <gcsnyd@loop.com>

Dennis Kramb wrote:

> I got my Iris cretensis last year when I went to Greece.  I've never seen
> it for sale in the USA but it is closely related to Iris unguicularis which
> is available from time to time.  Both of them are winter bloomers.  They
> are hardy to about Zone 9 or 10, so up here you have to grow them in
> containers and bring them indoors when it gets down to about 20 deg F.
> They definitely need cold weather to get them to bloom.  I'd say they need
> at least 4-8 weeks of near freezing temps...maybe even more?

I. unguicularis, at least, does not need nearly that much chilling. It's
been blooming here for over a month (almost 2 months, as I remember).
The low temperatures at the start of blooming were in the upper 40's or
so.

The length of sunlight may be more important than T.

Gerry
--
mailto:gcsnyd@loop.com
Gerry Snyder, AIS Symposium Chair