Membership concerns

Good morning robins - I am behind in reading e-mails and have followed this discussion with interest.  About 45 years ago I was a waitress in a truck stop.  An outer city loop was built around the city.  The owners of the truck stop fretted and blamed their employees etc. about the dwindling business they were doing.  The problem was obvious.
This problem of membership seems to be an overall problem of gardening societies.  I think some of the reasons have been addressed thoroughly.  The fact is that gardening societies are now the domain principally of the retired, the unemployed, and the quite well to do and in all cases usually at the older range of citizens.  I don't think this will change.  In years past gardening was an extension of nearly everyones life; nowadays, it is an outside occupation that has to be incorporated into very busy schedules.  For this reason I think the now and future membership will represent mostly people with a passion for gardening and iris in particular.
I do think advertisement could add people who love iris and just don't know it yet.  The younger generation gets a lot of information through television and perhaps national advertising by AIS in the springtime would create interest and reach a group who don't ordinarily go to gardening shows.
Barbara Null
Tyler, TX