Re: RE: Zone 6a and borer control

----- Original Message ----- From: "Char Holte" <cholte@wi.rr.com>

I have felt that the chance of importing Borers is great and the less than
$15 cost to hit the garden an extra time is worth it to me. > I also wash my purchases with a bleach solution, 1 to 10.
them first, replanting healthy Rhizomes in a new place.
> Char in New Berlin, WI

I am in prime borer land and have see hundreds of them. Not many if any commercial growers would ship a rhizome containing a borer or even a rhizome that had damage. One way they get imported is by people trading and the e-bay sellers. Shipping bearded Iris in the spring when the borers are eggs or very small could spread them.

I don't believe an over night soak with a 1 to 10 bleach solution will safely kill borers. I have had borers crawl over 6 foot( through thick lawn) from one bed in the summer to a bed of lined out seedlings. Those seedlings were lined out in early July and had to be moved in late August. I found several borers and quite a few pupa in the bed.

Mike Greenfield
Zone 5b
SW Ohio
Region 6