To: <iris@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, February 01, 2005 5:11 PM
Subject: Re: [iris] RE: Zone 6a and borer control

In a message dated 2/1/2005 3:25:56 PM Eastern Standard Time,
mgreenfield@cinci.rr.com writes:
I don't believe an over night soak with a 1 to 10 bleach solution will
safely kill borers.

Hi Mike,

We never soak irises overnight in bleach solution. The purpose of the bleach
is to kill bacteria on diseased rhizomes and on rhizomes that have had borer
damage. Twenty minutes is enough and we then rinse with clear water, because
too much bleach can damage irises.

Dorothy Willott