Re: RE:Hyb: Cytoplasmic inheritance was disease

Anner, the mention of Accent and Dave Ferguson's added comments piques my
interest more than a little.  Thank you!

Bill--your question about how many other cv's have been examined--is an issue.
To my knowledge, those few listed in the back of TWOI in the charts are the
only ones other than a couple mentioned in the text about pigments (such as
Frank Adams) that have been examined.

The list of "unknowns" both in the flavonid pigments and in some of the other
categories looks like a motivator for a bored researcher somewhere looking for
something to do.  "Unknowns" like these are an itch that demands scratching.

As to looking to malvidin, it may be looking in the wrong direction as the
radicals attached at the B ring's 3' and 5' are more likely to lead away from
red, not toward it.  The difference in the apparent movement toward red in
some flowers known to express it may lie in co-pigments, or controls of
cell-sap pH, which are going to be the big stumbling block to our color
advances toward red.

It is exactly the same problem faced by Carnation and Tea Rose movements
toward blue.  The gene that attaches the hydroxyls at those same two points on
the basic flavylium (anthocyanin-foundation) molecule isn't enough to make
either of them blue, although a lovely mauve carnation--in fact, two of
them--are either on the market or about to become available on the market in
the cut flower industry.  They do have Delphinidin pigments, which do not
occur in nature in these flowers.

The color isn't blue because the pH is too low.  That's hard to fix.  That
gene (in code referred to as F 3', 5' H) has a known DNA structure with some
1573 or some such number of nucleotides in the string--is a gene we have and
would like to squash or block--but doing so isn't going to do more than move
us slightly toward the red--it takes more than that.  The  pH in the vacuole,
and the string of co-pigments and metal complexes involved in color
determination have to change also.  The great historic JANE PHILLIPS, if I
remember rightly, doesn't even have Violanin (our normal "blue" Delphinidin
pigment).  Its blue color comes from the copigments and metalic chelates
alone.

It astounds me what has already been learned, with techniques developed for
rather simple moving genes around from one thing to another, and so on.  We
still have enormously far to go in getting a handle on all the various
relevant pieces and parts of the internal chemical makeup of the cells so that
we can have color at will.

Nature provides us with an enormous palette, but no--we want it all

Neil Mogensen  z  7 western NC mountains.