Re: RE: Zone 6a and borer control

In a message dated 2/1/2005 6:36:18 PM Eastern Standard Time,
mgreenfield@cinci.rr.com writes:
I soaked some TB's in a 25% solution over night by mistake. The borers were
still alive the next day. I left them in the bucket for two more days and
they were still alive. I killed them then, they might have died later

Hi Mike,

What we use to kill borers in rhizomes, especially beardless, is two or three
drops of Lindane in a bucket of water.  Lindane is a contact pesticide which
used to be recommended for spraying irises, but it only killed those borers
that chewed on the leaves and it washed off when it rained.  A half hour or so
in the solution should kill any borers in the rhizomes.  We have never tried to
kill borer eggs themselves, but have been using Merit or Marathon (same
active ingredient) with some success.  The trouble is we have too many irises to
keep up with.

Dorothy Willott