HIST: Polling for Survivors

Anner, when we moved to our present location there were several irises
scattered around the property.  One red-blend bitone I have never identified,
and I'm not sure any of it still survives.  It was pretty awful and I grubbed
out most of it just to make space.

I did identify WABASH, BLUE RHYTHM, BLUE SHIMMER, and there is still one
apparently diploid that remains unidentified.  It is fairly tall--over
34"--but has a character suggestive of *I. variegata* in many ways.  There are
both yellow and violet pigments present, and the falls have the butterfly wing
veining similar to PERFECTION, which it is not.  I am familiar with the
latter.  A photo published two or three years ago on Iris-photos raised only
two suggestions, Perfection and Neglecta.  I am reasonably certain it is

Then I "collected" a slightly bi-toned blue with *I. pallida*--*I. variegata*
qualities about equally expressed.  Beautifully branched it is about 20" to
slightly taller in better locations, has paper bud sheaths and no obvious
fragrance.  I sent a piece of it to Dave Ferguson a couple years ago but it
did not bloom for him last year.  I'm hoping he can identify it.

There are several apparent diploids and a couple stray tetraploids, judging
from size and some other characteristics, scattered around on banks, ditches
along roads and in some gardens, but I've been reluctant to approch property
owners.  Country folk in this area are very uneasy with non-Southern folk,
whether or not they could be classed as "Yankees."  Folks like us keep a low
profile for good reason.

Glad you asked!
Neil Mogensen   z  7  western NC mountains