Re: HIST: Polling for Survivors

Hi,

The list is pretty small here in central NM, and I don't know the names of
some (so I have to leave them out).  I've been trying to identify them all,
but can't do it.  Some may not even have names.  I find the similarity to
Anner's list interesting, but perhaps not surprising.

There are several tetraploid TB's that are moderately common, but I have no
names for them, only guesses.  I hope to put better descriptions and photos
of them together this coming season.  I think I may even be getting close
to nailing some of them down.  Ten years ago I didn't know names for any of
the "hand-me-downs", so I'm making progress!  There are a few purple
bitones, one is very very dark.  There is a very tall fairly large-flowered
blue, and a similar very tall white.  As I recall both of these very tall
ones are sweetly fragrant, but I may be wrong.  There is one that
approaches a yellow amoena, but the standards are pale yellow.  There is a
yellow with lots of brownish tones and some dark veining.  There is one
that is a blend that looks lavender from a distance, but up close looks
dull light brownish purple (more brownish on the standards) with has hints
of brown, purple, yellow, pink, etc.  There is a tan over mahogany red.
All of them are old fashioned and grow and flower like crazy.  There is a
more modern looking white TB that I see all over the place and that is very
sweetly fragrant.  It is always in maintained gardens though, seems to die
out of abandoned ones rather quickly.  It is fairly tall and robust,
flowers a bit ruffled, spathes mostly papery.  I've thought it might be
'Snow Flurry', but that was a long time ago before I'd seen many named
cultivars - could have been a very bad guess.

The ones I know include:
'Accent'
'Crimson King' / 'Nepalensis'
'Eleanor Roosevelt'
'Indian Chief'
'Lent. A. Williamson' (I think - it is very common)
'Ola Kala'
'Prospero' (I think - it gets called 'Alcazar', but think it is not that at
all - it is very common)
'Rameses'
'Rosy Wings' (not so much here in NM, but up north in Colorado I see it a
lot)
I. orientalis

I never see 'Florentina' nor 'Albicans', which surprises me.  They are
(were anyway) both common in e. Colorado when I was a kid.  I almost never
see any of the diploid hybrids or MTBs, nor the smaller old TB's that look
to have a lot of I. variegata in them.  So, things like 'Wabash',
'Flavescens', 'Loreley', 'Sambucina', etc. don't seem to be here much (I
think it's to dry and hot for them to persist without help).  Exceptions
include 'Pretty Butterfly' and 'Perfection', which I do see occasionally
(but not often, and not away from at least some marginal care).

A couple are common, and deserve comment, even though I don't know what
they are for sure (yet).

One is a large (for the species) "pink" I. pallida, I can't match it to a
specific name so far, but have a long list of "is not".  Moderate grape
fragrance.  I see similar ('Dalmatica' / 'Odoratissima') types growing in
abandoned sights all over the eastern part of the country, but they are
decidedly bluish, this one looks pink out in the sun (looks purplish next
to a true pink though).  Of larger I. pallida, I never see the "blue" ones
as survivors here, just this one.  It is probably just a matter of chance -
the pink one got handed around more than any of the others.  This one of
the most common "hand-me-down" survivors here.

One is a smallish (usually IB sized) blue I. pallida that sort of fits
'Illyrica', and which is often distributed (incorrectly I think) as
'Odoratissima'.  It is highly fragrant with the usually grape smell of I.
pallida.

One is a white version of the blue I. pallida.  Appears to be a glaciata,
has only a hint of fragrance.

There are two TB that look very nearly identical and one is 'Miss
California' (but I forget which).  One has PBF, one does not.  There are
subtle differences in the flower that aren't obvious except on close
examination.

Two clones of I. germanica that I hope to put names on someday.  Both are
widespread and common.  One is a more purple bitone with the flowers
somewhat "dog-ear" looking, and has often bent and curved stalks.  This is
the one most likely to be seen next to an old foundation surviving even out
in the desert.  The other is bluer, also a bitone, often with pale streaks
in the falls, and with the falls more spreading than the other.  Might be
same as Anner's blue-violet two-toned.

Then there is the "yellow germanica" that may be (??????) 'Golden Bow', and
matches the photo of "Berkeley Gold" on the HIPS web site.  It has no PBF
and usually is IB sized (but can reach 30 inches under ideal conditions -
small flower though).

I also have a bunch of other cultivars that I've gotten as trades, from old
yards, even from the forest in the mountains, that while they are
survivors, I don't see them around much, if at all.

Dave