variegata as a name

Chuck, if that fall overlay pattern were named a "variegata," then WABASH has
a "variegata," and so do Shah Jehan, Extravaganza, City of Lincoln (which is
"a" variegata), and most of collected Asiatic tetraploids too, judging by the
photos I've seen.  They have the appearance of having a fall overlay over
blue-violet or violet-blue ground color.

If I were just new to irises--and there was a time I was which I remember all
too well--and you started telling me Bruno or Mexico "had" a variegata on the
fall, but City of Lincoln "was" a variegata and Wabash was not--it was an
"amoena," I'd be so confused I think I'd grow dahlias instead.

Either a "variegata" is an iris with yellow--more or less clear
yellow--standards with colored falls, regardless how derived genetically, or
it is the fall overlay pattern.  To paraphrase "Oneofcultivars," ya cain't
have it both ways."

When Linda Mann suggested the term, "Umbrata," I thought it fit beautifully.
An "Umbra" is a shadow--from the Latin root.  The fall is covered with a
"shadow" of color.

Genetically, it seems the pattern (at least partly from species *variegata*)
can range all the way from butterfly wing veins to patterns of dots and
stitches, usually radiating proximally on the fall, but perhaps this allelic
series may also include the distal patterns, (Ghio''s, et al. "line and
speckle" pattern) considering the role NOTORIOUS plays in their origin--as
well as the solid fall overlay on DOMINION and its endless count of progeny.
A great many current cultivars from a number of breeders have a fall overlay
spot--ranging all the way from a band across the hafts to spills of color
running down the sides of falls to solid overlays covering much of the fall or
all of it.

Fred Kerr likes to call the band on the fall where the overlay is absent a
"corona" (="crown") of color.

If the collected tetraploids prove to have the same allelic series as that
visible on the fall of the various forms of *variegata* and its white variant
"variegata REGINAE--or however that relationship is understood and spelled--it
would suggest something about the evolutionary origin of the tetraploids.  It
would suggest they arose from hybrid forms of pallida with variegata--or from
vanished species akin to them.

What I've seen of published karyotypes of the wild tetraploids (I think only a
48-chr. form of *kashmiriana* to date), the affinity to *pallida* was great,
but for that matter, the karyotypes of *pallida* and *variegata* are not
entirely unlike themselves.

As to dominance, I have seen substantial evidence the overlay is both dominant
and dosage-dependent, perhaps not to the extreme of the I(s), but approaching
it, and rather like the plicata allelic series this one seems to have quite a
range of variant forms, or at least so it appears.

Neil Mogensen  z  7  western NC mountains