Re: HIST: Polling for Survivors

DFerguson@cabq.gov writes:

<<  The list is pretty small here in central NM, and I don't know the names of
 some (so I have to leave them out).  I've been trying to identify them all,
 but can't do it.  Some may not even have names.  I find the similarity to
 Anner's list interesting, but perhaps not surprising.>>

I'm glad to hear that since I was guessing at what might be around in a lot
of places AND was pretty distinctive. Interesting that you mentioned
'Perfection' as that almost made the cut here. Others that might have were 'Dolly
Madison,' which is a huge 'Quaker Lady' and said to be a very fine Iris, and
'Monsignor," which is real distinctive.

  <<There is one that is a blend that looks lavender from a distance, but up
close looks dull light brownish purple (more brownish on the standards) with
has hints
 of brown, purple, yellow, pink, etc. >>

Sounds sort of Grace Sturtevant-ish.

<< There is a yellow with lots of brownish tones and some dark veining. >>

Sounds sort of 'Alta California," or sort of 'Chenedolle," if it is not too

<< The ones I know include:>>

A wonderful contribution! Thank you.

<< I never see 'Florentina' nor 'Albicans', which surprises me. >>

No 'Albicans' in the boneyards? It is supposed to be found in Texas, and they
are POSITIVE it is not 'Florentina." How hardy would you say 'Albicans' has
to be to have survived where you used to see it? What zone was that?
<< One is a large (for the species) "pink" I. pallida, I can't match it to a
 specific name so far, but have a long list of "is not". >>

I assume you checked out 'Thais'? A nice clean pink pallida. Pinker than the
blue or lilac pallidas, and bluer than "Rheingauperle.' Also does not have
that white luminata thing going on around the beard like the latter. Just a fine,
well-formed pink-toned pallida.
<< There are two TB that look very nearly identical and one is 'Miss
California' (but I forget which).  One has PBF, one does not.  There are subtle
differences in the flower that aren't obvious except on close examination.>>

That is close.
<< Two clones of I. germanica that I hope to put names on someday.>>

You will loose your mind trying to do that. I avert my eyes from the

That was a wonderful reply. I really enjoyed it, Dave.

Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA -Snow, like swans feathers falling now; beans for supper!