RE:HIST polling for survivors

Interesting question. Last May a gentleman from this area stopped by to see
my garden in bloom. He had only recently "discovered" that iris had names &
came in many fancy colors and ruffles. For years I had driven down this
dusty country back road slowing down to check the iris blooming along a
fence row between a "new" farm and a very old abandon farm.  Now I
discovered the secret to the fence iris----he was born in the old place and
built the new place when he was married. The iris growing along the road
were extras he couldn't bear to just throw away!! He left my garden with a
good selection of new fancy colors & ruffles and I will be visiting his
garden this year. I'll let you know what I find.

Growing along the fence I have spotted Ola Kala, Crimson King, Monsignor,
Indian Chief and the Gracchus type varieties which one ?? I'll have to look
closer.  A pretty tall white , Lent A. Williamson and Wabash. Atroviolacea
is all over in this area also.  Another farmer plowed up the old iris to
make room for a bigger garden before I could save any of them. He did allow
his wife to keep the old roses & peonies.

Judy E.
Haven, KS
Amish farm country
zone 6