RE:Hyb: Cytoplasmic inheritance

As Nicholas and his brother both had the same TWO sets of michochondria it would seem to have come from their mother. How did she get two sets? The one set matched with Prince Phillip and other descendents of the Czars grandmother. The other had "a different base at position 16169 of its DNA"

The percentage of heteroplasmy was a direct quote from the book. I didn't check with any other sources re this.

Chuck Chapman

Subject: Re: [iris] RE:Hyb: Cytoplasmic inheritance

Pollen and sperm are much smaller than egg cells.  So they carry no cytoplasm to speak of.  But instances of pollen, at least, carrying chloroplasts to the embryo are not unknown.  But I am not aware of it ever happening in animals.  but then I don't read the animal litterature as much as the plant litterature.
It is not unknown for a family to adopt a father's child by another woman.  This mostly happened where a father has absolute control over what the family does.  And maybe under that Czar such was the case.
But the percentage given seems really high to me.

Oneofcultivars@aol.com wrote:
In a message dated 2/2/2005 5:41:27 PM Central Standard Time,
irischapman@netscape.net writes:

> So if mitochondria comes only from the mother how does this happen, 2
> sets that is.

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.