: RE:Hyb: Frank Adams and malvidin.

Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 11:20:16 -0800 (PST)
From: Walter Pickett <waltseed2@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [iris] RE:Hyb: Frank Adams and malvidin.

Good question. I don't know why not but I havn't come across any recent research in flower pigments using this technique.  There must be some good reason  why it's not used. I just checked a reference book here and they have two one line refernces as to its possible use but nothing as to  why everthing else including thin-layer chromatography are prefered. Mind you this is an older text

Chuck Chapman

irischapman@netscape.net wrote:
A better process to use for what they were doing would be HPLC or Gas chromatography which wasn't available at that time...........

How about infrared spectrascopy?  That was what we used most in biochemistry lab some 25 or more years ago when I took that course.
I don't remember if we did anthocyanins.  We did lycopenes, checked percentages of chlorophyls A, B, and C.  And many other things.

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.