RE: HYB: variegata as a name

In his post on the subject, Chuck Chapman gives a preference list for terms
that might be used.  He said:

"My vote at this time would be
1) Umbrata ( nice descriptive word)
2) Coronoa
3) Variagata spot
4) Variegata-pattern"

I am inclined to agree with 1), but find 2) attractive also.  I wonder if it
would not be useful to combine 1 & 2, as they refer to two different, but
complementary, color zones of the fall.  I could then (genetically) describe
Blyth's MASTERY as first a "yellow, probably a self, with the I(s) Dominant
amoena of a modest amount of violet, rendering the fall color a cool almost
violet-toned light brown, with an Umbrata of rather rich color.  The corona
zone reflects the fall color of the dominant amoena, having quite a different
color value from the standard's bright apricot-yellow."

The use of both "Umbrata" and "Corona" describe areas of distinctive color.

If I were going to describe the historic, BRUNO, I would say "blended coppery
toned standards with a fall Umbrata of deeper reddish brown color, but lacking
a Corona."--or something to that effect.

Using the word "variegata" for three different, significant things could lead
to confusion.  In italic print *I. variegata* is a species with a variety of
color variations including even a white variant.

"A:" variegata, either a Classic type like CITY OF LINCOLN, or the modern
dominant types descended mostly from PROGENITOR primarily through outcrosses
from MELODRAMA , uses the word to describe anything at all with yellow
standards and colored falls, regardless of the genetics underlying the

"Variegata spot" and "Variegata pattern" might be easier to express simply as
"fall overlay" or "fall spot," although the latter suggests the
*pumila*-derived fall pattern rather than the variegata (and possibly
broader)-derived fall color restricted to the epidermis.

"Umbrata" has the advantage, at least in the more obvious examples, in being
both a genetic description and a recognizable phenotype.  I find that
appealing, myself.  I get the impression you and I agree on that.

Now, it depends on who and whoever picks up on the term and whether if it
spreads into general use, analogous to what happened with the use of
"luminata" as a description of the MOONLIT SEA types.

Neil Mogensen