HYB: variegata:side note

In a message dated 2/4/2005 7:31:22 A.M. Central Standard Time,
lmann@volfirst.net writes:

color  patterns.

I've tried to ignore this but . . . I'm not strong enough!
Variegatas, yellow standards with reddish/brownish falls and preferred with
a rim of standard color, are some of my all time favorites! I once had a
large collection! (Anyone else love Arabian Story???)
About 15 years ago, I gave an award at our local show.  It  was for the best
variegata!  My intention was to honor an iris on the  lines of Supreme Sultan
or Michigan Pride.
It immediately became an issue with the judges.  "Technically" they  said a
variegata had three colors and they could only give the award to the best  iris
with 3 colors. Without regard to the pattern. Now, I would know  how to get
around this, but at the time I gave up due to frustration.

Betty W. in  South-central KY Zone 6
Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website: