HYB: variegata:side note

A variegata has three colors?  Since when?

I've seen variegatas or near-variegatas with perhaps as many as five colors
and as few as two.  I'd hate to have to count the colors of SHAH JEHAN or
EXTRAVAGANZA.  That three-color rule if applied to DECADENCE would discount it
as well.

I don't recall ever seeing an "Official" definition of what is, or what is
not, a variegata in AIS official publications.  Is there such a definition?  I
thought it was just like "amoena."  It is what more or less everybody agrees
it is.

Neil Mogensen  z  7  western NC mountains