Re: HIST: Polling for Survivors

Here in northern Utah bearded irises are definitely the most frequently
encountered herbaceous perennials found growing in the circumstances
you have specified. The most common are the various forms of "germanica"
(early blooming, median or short-tall  irises with two-branches and 5-6 buds total)
of which the most abundant is PURPLE KING (syn. "nepalensis"),
along with Florentina, a whiter form of germanica that is different from
Florentina, the basic neglecta type, and some other forms that
I cannot put a name to. Also found are I. albicans and several forms of
pallida. I cannot recall seeing either I. flavescens or species-like variegatas.
Among the named cultivars you have listed, I can vouch for Quaker Lady,
Wabash, Ola Kala, and Great Lakes; also Amigo, Blue Shimmer, Dauntless,
and Theodolinda.
Among beardless irises only the Spurias are represented (I.orientalis, I. crocea).
Jeff Walters
in northern Utah
(USDA Zone 4)

ChatOWhitehall@aol.com wrote:

Now, I once asked the HIPS membership in ROOTS what they saw in the way of
historic Irises growing in their part of the world, not in the gardens of the
Iris folks as such, but in other gardens, or along the roadsides in the country,
or near falling down houses or barns, or in the cemetaries, or in areas of
urban decay, or vacant lots, you know, non-native Irises which tend to be sort
of common in an area, and when seen are more or less taking care of themselves.
I've always assumed there was at least one or two of these in most places,
and the Iris folks might know the names of a few.