Re: HIST: Polling for Survivors

Anita,

There are several clones going around as 'Sambucina', but the one on your
link looks like it could be the "real" one.  I didn't do any direct
comparisons of your photo though.

This brings some more thoughts to mind.

Another one that looks somewhat similar (but I think yours is not it) is
'Sindjkha'.  I found this one in old yards in the se. corner of Virginia
and ne. North Carolina, along with the 'Odoratissima'/ 'Dalmatica' sort of
I. pallida, and the little pumila 'Atroviolacea' (is it really a pumila? -
I was surprised that it was still flowering in May! - maybe it was
something else, but I think I've got it right).   Funny, when I found the
pallidas in the eastern states, they looked to me the same as the "pink" at
home, but when I took them home and grew them side by side, the eastern
ones were actually the "blue" types.  There is (was) lots of what I think
is 'New Snow' around High Point / Greensboro, NC.  [You can ignore my
earlier comments - year or three ago, about the same pink being all over
the east - most of what I saw was the "blue"; however, the ones in the west
are indeed the "pink".  I goofed, sorry 'bout that.]

Don't remember his name but there was this guy who was a decoy maker in
Chincoteague; he was one of the several locals briefly in the movie
'Misty', and there is still 'Sindjkha' planted around his house (don't know
who owns it now, but my mother in law does.  She rents it for a week or two
in the summer sometimes).  Also in Chincoteague you can find a big old
yellow with scattered little brown spots and streaks that I think might be
W. R. Dykes, not many of them, but the ones I saw are big and healthy
(think I got a piece of one, but it hasn't flowered for me yet, I'll ask
for another when (if?) I go back again).  Along some of the back roads in
se. Virginia I would see little variegata(s) that look to me like wild I.
variegata, and I have no idea the cultivar name(s).  I didn't see many of
those, but i saw at least a clump in most little towns, and none of them
were in tended gardens (often next to a power pole or tree trunk).  We
found a few cemeteries with Iris, but they had all finished blooming or had
been mowed off the year I was looking.  There are plenty of others, mostly
TB purples, but I don't know what any of them are.  I have never been there
early enough to catch the germanica-ish IB/TB types, but I'm sure they're
there too, and I've brought back 'Eleanor Roosevelt' from High Point, not
knowing what it was till it bloomed.   I didn't see any of the species esk
mostly diploid types, other than those little variegatas and the pallidas.

Of course I only visit there, and some of you live near there, so probably
know the area better than I.

Dave