Re: RE:HIST Polling for Survivors

In a message dated 2/3/05 7:21:41 PM Eastern Standard Time, judye@msinter.net

<<  Growing along the fence I have spotted Ola Kala, Crimson King, Monsignor,
 Indian Chief and the Gracchus type varieties which one ?? I'll have to look
 closer.  A pretty tall white , Lent A. Williamson and Wabash. Atroviolacea
 is all over in this area also. >>

Judy, that is a rreal interesting story. "Monsignor', eh? Maybe my instincts
were working well since I've had a couple of private notes here in which two
other Irises I almost put on the list were mentioned: the superb taupe and
lavender Cayeux Iris, "President Pilkington', which I've also seen around in
Richmond, and 'Coronation,'  which is common, too.

'Coronation,' (Moore, 927) is a rather dingy yellow self, a little darker
than medium, with a roundish bloom shape that is pretty distinctive once you get
to know it. Dark veining--chocolaty wine--on the claw, and PBF, occasional red
flecks on the falls. It got quite a bit of distribution, or so I assume since
 it was being pushed by Cooley's at least as early as 1932, and thereafter,
as a good bargain yellow. It is a pretty good plant as those things go but it
is, as I said, a little dingy.

So, let's add 'President Pilkington' and 'Coronation' to the hunt list. And
how about this one for distinctive: 'William A.Setchell." Anyone seeing that
immense purple around? I have! And in an actual boneyard, too!

I think everyone has a pretty tall white unknown of some vintage. Mine blooms
four feet tall when it is happy. Edinger is clueless other than to say he's
seen it before.

Thank you, Judy. I think we might be getting somewhere with this.

Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA