Re: HIST: Polling for Survivors

Didn't think about I. pseudacoris.  I tend to think of it as an escapee
rather than a survivor from cultivation, though I suppose it is both.  I
don't see it except in gardens anywhere in the southwest, but when I'm in
Virginia, Maryland, North Carolina, etc. I see it along sloughs, rivers,
etc.   I think I saw millions of them in bayou country in s. Louisiana and
se. Texas several years ago.  And there was an Iris that I'm pretty sure
was it (but it was summer, so no flowers) along and near the Arkansas River
in Arkansas.  I have yet to see any of the native species in those areas,
but one of these centuries maybe I'll get a chance to hunt.

I have seen I. crocea hanging on a few times in s. Colorado, w. Kansas, and
New Mexico, but it was not common enough that I listed it.  It is pretty
uncommon in gardens in these areas, hardly ever see one.  I. orientalis is
all over the place.