RE: HYB: variegata as a name

Some more thoughts on this. The spot itself needs the name, not the pattern. The colour on the edge depends on other factors such as what the spot overlays. If it overlays white , then edge is white. If it overlays yellow then edge is yellow. If it overlays a yellow amoena then standards are white , fall is dark purple, black or burgundy and edge is yellow rather then the colour of the standards. Just look in Blyth's catalogues for many variations. The genetic factor then could be called Umbrata spot or Umbrata pattern.

Chuck Chapman

Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 00:31:32 -0500
From: "Neil A Mogensen" <neilm@charter.net>
Subject: [iris] RE: HYB: variegata as a name

In his post on the subject, Chuck Chapman gives a preference list for terms
that might be used.  He said:

"My vote at this time would be
1) Umbrata ( nice descriptive word)
2) Coronoa
3) Variagata spot
4) Variegata-pattern"

am inclined to agree with 1), but find 2) attractive also.  I wonder if it
would not be useful to combine 1 & 2, as they refer to two different, but
complementary, color zones of the fall.  I could then (genetically) describe
Blyth's MASTERY as first a "yellow, probably a self, with the I(s) Dominant
amoena of a modest amount of violet, rendering the fall color a cool almost
violet-toned light brown, with an Umbrata of rather rich color.  The corona
zone reflects the fall color of the dominant amoena, having quite a different
color value from the standard's bright apricot-yellow."

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.