Re: RE: HYB: malvidin.and infrared Spectrocopy

The reason I brought up infrared Spectrocopy earlier, was that back when Scientific American had a rgular feature "Amature Scientist", one time it showed how to make a home-built infrared spectrascope.  It is actually cheap and easy.  Not so with some other chemical analysis methods, as far as I know.  Just an infrared LED, an infrared photocell or phototransister, a meter, and a difraction grating.  And some thing to put the sample in that is transparent to infrared light.  The rest was just the box and frame to hold stuff in place.
But I know a professor who built a gas chromatograph from scratch, so he could study things in the field.  Seems no good portable ones were on the market.  You don't know what you can do until your try and get in over your head.
Walter

Linda Mann <lmann@volfirst.net> wrote:
Chuck, shall we take up a collection and buy you the whole setup?

Of course, then you will owe us spectra for the rest of your life

The equipment and suplies are expensive though and the computer program
to run the whole costs about $1,600 . Chuck Chapman>

--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8
East Tennessee Iris Society