Re: HYB:REB:Repeat

Autmirislvr@aol.com wrote:
Repeat bloom is a form of rebloom that does not give fall bloom. Typically
they bloom in the spring and then send up a second round of blooms about a
month later.

I have observed a pattern of bloom such as you describe ontwo TB cultivars in recent years, ROMANTIC EVENING (Ghio, '96) and CHILO(Nebeker, '98). In both cases there was one stalk that emerged shortly after the end of the main season bloom and came into bloom two to four later.

I am wondering if this is a genuine indication of an inherent tendency toward repeat bloom in these cultivars, or if it is a sort of physiological hiccup by which stalks that would have been part of the main season bloom were somehow arrested in their normal development and "missed the boat". The bloom I am referring to occurred in different years, but in both cases on fourth year clumps that I had not gotten around to digging and dividing as soon as I had planned to do. Could there be some kind of stress factor involved here?

Jeff Walters
in northern Utah
(USDA Zone 4)