Re: HYB:REB:Repeat

Jeff, I found most interesting your remark about observing delayed bloom in
ROMANTIC EVENING.  I have not myself yet observed this either in RE or any of
its several offspring I am growing here--Ghio, Keppel varieties and seedlings
of my own.  If this is a genetic tendency barely surfacing in RE under unusual
circumstances I would think that inbreeding among the RE offspring might be
very worthwhile to concentrate the traits behind the phenomenon.

I am assuming the repeat bloom is complex in origin, involving those things
that trigger the forming of inflorescence, nutritional issues, vigor, and rate
of multiplication, disease resistance and anything else that might contribute
to out of season bloom development.  Inbreeding may not be all that is
required.

One thing I have noted in several RE offspring is a tendency for even a
one-year division to bloom not only from the primary fan, but from one or more
of the increases as well.

I had seen this in some pinks with which I was working some thirty years ago,
and which I would happily recapture to explore their genetic potential.
Sadly, I am afraid all of them, including SANCTUS, the one of my own releases
I would most appreciate being found, have vanished in the mists of time.

Sanctus also had this tendency.  Both it and one particular RE baby go a
little to far with this blooming from current increase, so that net increase
after bloom can be an issue--barely maintaining saleable rhizome count at par.
Those aren't commercially viable plants.  Another variety with the same
potential, but with plenty of net increase remaining for saleable stock is
FOGBOUND.

I am wondering if this bloom from current increase is the same phenomenon you
observed, just with some timing delay.  There may be some connection, but not
a one-to-one equivalence.  That *timing* issue is significant.

Your mentioning of a four-year undisturbed clump suggests some chemistry at
work that might not be observed in annual or biannual division practices.  The
matter gives one pause for thought.  I'm glad you called attention to your
observation.

It is my belief that "everblooming" bearded irises are highly desirable and a
goal toward which it would be worthwhile to work .  The observation about
Romantic Evening is suggestive of one contributing element toward that goal.
Thank you!

Neil Mogensen   z  7 western NC mountains