Re: HYB:REB:Repeat

Autmirislvr@aol.com wrote:
In a message dated 2/6/2005 11:23:59 A.M. Central Standard Time,
Autmirislvr@aol.com writes:
CHILO(Nebeker, '98).
Jeff, I don't find this iris in the Register.

Don Nebeker is a hybridizer here in Utah. Most of his irises have been introduced by Brad & Kathie Kasperek's Zebra Iris Gardens. However, the year after they made their move from South Jordan to their present location they weren't able to do that for him, so he introduced two of his creations himself. Unfortunately, he did not get around to registering them until 2000, so they don't show up in the '99 Checklist, and of course would not be in the '98 Register, either.

CHILO is a phlox-pink near amoena. It is a very robust and vigorous grower here with stalks usually topping 40". It tends to bloom quite freely on established clumps - the bloom record is as follows for the first four years between the time I planted it and dug it up and divided it for the first time: YR1 - 1 stalk; YR2 - 5 stalks; YR3 - 12 stalks; YR 4 - 9 stalks + the one repeat bloom stalk. You will notice the decline in bloom in the 4th year, which led me to think there might have been some stress factors involved with the repeat bloom. CHILO's pedigree is (EASTER MORN x DREAM LOVER) X DELIGHTSUM (which is another one of Don's irises that was introduced by Zebra Gardens in '97).

Jeff Walters
in northern Utah
(USDA Zone 4)