newbie needs info

Hi everyone, I'm new to the list, and new to the world of irises. I grow only one kind, it was in the garden at my former home when I moved in, and I took a clump with me when I moved to my current home.

I'm hoping someone on the list can give me some assitance with identifying my iris. What information about it do I need, and when I gather this information, where can I send it? A few people have told me to take a piece of the plant to a local horticulture society, but I live nowhere near anything like that.

I'm planning to add many more iris to my garden this year, and any suggestions from list members would be welcome. I live in Canada, zone 2, and therefore my choices are limited to very winter-hardy iris.

Thanks for all the incredible information I've already gotten off this list.

Sam in Canada (aneurism@telus.net)