Re: REF: ?zones in Va, Pa, Md (zone map)

This winter has been alternately USDA Zone 4 or Zone 3... the
low has only been about -37 and that was only two or three
times. We used to have temps down to -40 regularly each winter.

Anyway, those zone maps are so strange. The hosta 'map' says we
are in USDA Zone 3b (not 3a which we usually are according to
our temps. The Jackson & Perkins one says we are in Zone 4a !
Laurie went down and I went up in temp. according to J & P.
(when did they start selling furniture anyway?) Their Zone map
is way out of kilter for us here in the White Mts. I think most
Zone maps don't pay enough attention to altitude re the
cold,etc.

Warm today...just above freezing which is very bad for our
plants who need their white blanket which has been very scarce
this winter. Also bad for our underground water pipes to keep
them from having a major break which we already had about two
weeks ago in the center of our small city.

Ellen

=====
Ellen Gallagher / ellengalla@yahoo.com / Editor, 'The Siberian Iris'
Berlin, New Hampshire - USDA Zone 3
~~
Siberian iris mailing list archives 1999 - 2004:
http://www.hort.net/lists/sibrob/    (1996 - 1998 messages not archived)
~~
The Society for Siberian Irises web page:  http://www.socsib.org