Re: AIS: membership

I joined AIS because I saw an ad in Schreiners' catalog and at the time
was <starved> for information about my favorite flower.  There was no
local club, and I didn't know about iris shows.

With all the iris information and fellowship available online now, I
don't know whether or not I would see benefit of joining either AIS or
other iris organizations.  "Local" club meetings are too far, no direct
route to get there, through fairly heavy traffic and they meet in the
evenings.  I hate to drive, especially in the dark, & it's over an
hour's drive.

Already being a member of AIS and TBIS, I like being part of these
larger groups, I know a lot of members, either in person from our
regional winter potluck meetings or from online discussions, and back in
the pre-internet days, from very small but encouraging amounts of
correspondence - notes on plant orders, especially from Jim McWhirter
and later from Keith Keppel when he moved and lost so many of his
seedlings in the new climate.  These parent organizations are where the
truly iris obsessed have a home.

I don't enjoy competitive shows, but others thrive on them.  I'm
starting to dread getting things dug for our annual rhizome sales, but
we have to support the shows somehow, and it is fun to hang out with the
club members at sales and educate new enthusiasts.

I'm not sure where the lit candle is in all this?

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8