Re: AIS: membership

I joined AIS and have loved it ever since.  Matter of fact, I subscribed to a
LIFE membership this year.  I truly enjoy the AIS Bulletins and the
storefront, and the people involved in AIS and our region.  The ads in the
back of the bulletin are a helpful resource, the photos of the new intros all
in once place, the articles by hybridizers the news and announcements, and the
articles written about each garden at the convention, the symposium, the
winners of awards, I just eat it all up.  I also enjoy the electronic
checklists and names lists.
AIS also keeps my finger on the pulse of the iris world nationally, and
internationally, as well as the future generation.

Even though there is a lot of information online about irises now, I still
enjoy the benefits of the AIS organization (including IRIS-TALK, IRIS-PHOTOS)
and wouldn't want to give it up.

I am afraid that if people think that they don't need to renew or join the AIS
membership because of all the information they can receive elsewhere, that
maybe AIS will start to charge or discontinue the IRIS-TALK and IRIS-PHOTOS,
or make it for members only.  I don't really know, but John would have a
better idea.  Still and all, the email lists here do perpetuate the knowledge
of irises to the public, which is a goal of the Society.

As for the iris shows mentioned... I have never entered an iris show with the
competition in mind, and I have won some wonderful awards, including Best
Specimen of Show, Best Design of Show, Best of Section, the Bronze metal, and
numerous red, white, and blue ribbons.  I have always entered the show with as
many stalks as I could in order to have plenty of bloom to educate the public
in irises. With that in mind, it doesn't matter what else I got.  Although it
was a THRILL beyond to have won some of the top awards.

One thing I found interesting and fun was to enter a bunch of stalks and then
clerk the show.  You get to hear all the judges discussing the stalks and hear
what they say about your stalks.  Since I am in training to be a judge, it was
very helpful too.

It is very hard to keep a straight face though, if two of your stalks are the
only two left in order to pick the Best Specimen of Show....

Patrick Orr
Phoenix, AZ  Zone 9