Re: AIS: membership

Iris-photos and the AIS, I might add, Mike, that I had made a comment a few
weeks ago to the effect that there was a tie, and J I Jones, the list-owner of
both, who also just happens to be the chairperson for the Electronic Services
committee of the AIS, posted a response making clear exactly what you also
have said.

It is easy to make the bridging assumption because of John's various roles.

In a way, those assumptions, in my mind, have a certain justification.  Those
of us on these lists, especially Iris-talk, do not hesitate to promote the
AIS, discuss it or dissect it with an "insider" kind of freedom, not as
outsiders looking on.  We don't hesitate to announce, review and enjoy AIS
projects, activities and events ("Geek Dinner* for example!), which in my mind
are entirely appropriate here.

We don't seem to talk about the sections and co-operating societies as much,
as each of these also have web sites devoted to their work.

The exception is the TBIS, which has no formal relationship, at least as yet,
with the AIS, but it is my hope that in time that will change.  As it is, TBIS
events and activities seem not to appear with high profile exchanges on the
lists, although I see no reason why they should not.

I find this all particularly healthy, and all protestations of non-AIS
relationship aside, there is a kind of psycological linkage even if not a
legal one between these lists and the formal organization.

Neil Mogensen  z  7  western NC mountains