Subject: Re: AIS: membership

Written by Patrick Orr:
"As for the iris shows mentioned... I have never entered an iris show
with the
competition in mind, and I have won some wonderful awards, including
Best
Specimen of Show, Best Design of Show, Best of Section, the Bronze
metal, and
numerous red, white, and blue ribbons.  I have always entered the show
with as
many stalks as I could in order to have plenty of bloom to educate the
public
in irises. With that in mind, it doesn't matter what else I got.
Although it
was a THRILL beyond to have won some of the top awards."

The above was from Patrick Orr, and I just wanted to add my 2 cents. I
am a member of the AIS and have been for almost if not 11 years and
plan to continue, also a member of 2 local societies and numerous
sections.
I have gotten a little bit competitive in the shows, but there is much
Patrick said that is so true. I had recently explained to a friend of
mine who is also a member of our society, that it is and should be part
of our job to enlighten the public about iris, that means (to me
anyway) that you do bring as many stalks of iris that you have to the
show because it is to show them (the public) what all is available as
far as colors and more. My friend did not bring any to our show as she
said they were not good enough to enter, but what she really meant was
she didn't think she would win an award with anything that she had
available, but when I explained to her what I thought we should be
doing (bringing in lots and lots of iris), a light came on and she
understood, and she said had she known that she did indeed have some
that she could have brought in. She also thought they had to have
multiple blooms open, while that may be desirable, it does not always
happen that way. Our goal is too educate the public about iris and that
is done in various ways but the above is fun as we get to see the
publics face when they see all of the gorgeous stalks with so many
different colors and combinations of colors and the different sizes.
So, thank-you Patrick for putting it into words here:)
I too enjoy the fun of winning and getting a special award or two:) I
just got my first "Best of Show" last year at the SIS, which Region 14
has the pictures of my top award winners, although I was much surprised
by what won, BB Apricot Frosty for BOS, and Skating Party for Best Tall
Bearded. But my most favorite part of the show is talking to the public
and seeing their faces when they walk in and exclaim "I have never seen
iris like this before or I did not know they came in all of these
colors", then I feel we have done a small part.

Yvette Meador, Zone 7, Applegate, CA, USA
SFIS, SIS
http://www.nccn.net/~sfis/sierra.htm
The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
http://my.yahoo.com