Re: Subject: Re: AIS: membership

It had been years since I have been to an iris show, and I seldom entered any then.
But I want to point out that we, including the club members putting on the show, are included in that term "public".
A good show can sometimes bring in iris varieties even dedicated club members haven't seen in person.
I remember that  therre were folks who exhibitted yearly, who wondered at the arils and arilbreds that were sometime sbrought in.  I don't know if anyone started growing any because of those arils and arilbreds, but at least club members were then aware of them.
And I had never seen Paltec, except at an iris show.  Again, many members hadn't either.
Sure, there will be people at the shows who only know iris from some "flags" that grow out by the gas meter.  Almost any iris can educate those people to what they are missing.  But long-time iris hobbiests can still take some educating.
I know I can.
I expect to be at at least 2 shows in Wichita this spring, and one in Hutchinson this year.  It has been too long.  I hope to meet some of you in person.
Walter
Yvette Meador <ymeador@yahoo.com> wrote:
Written by Patrick Orr:
I have always entered the show
with as
many stalks as I could in order to have plenty of bloom to educate the
public
in irises.