RE: COMP: way off topic help - printer?

Linda,

It is not worth fixing the inexpensive printers like you have. It can be
done, but, by the time it is, you may as well have bought yourself a new one
and a couple of years of ink or toner.

Go out and get a new printer, but, before you do, there are some things to
consider. First, what are your printing needs. Do you really need color or
will black and white do? Once you have done that, what is your budget?
Should you go for a low end laser, or, for the same money, a higher end
inkjet type printer? Color lasers have come down quite a bit, even in the
last year. Don't forget to determine you r cost per page. While lasers are a
more expensive purchase up front, they are actually less expensive in the
long run. (FWIW, I have three laser printers right now. One is a cheap B&W
that is at least 5 years old, if not more. One is a color laser. The final
one is a multifunction printer which includes a fax and copier (scanner), as
well as the printer. It gets used for faxes and quick copies--the real
scanner is used for scans.) From here you can start shopping printers to
find one that will meet your needs. Use the internet to help in your search
so you don't have to go tramping about.

While I don't usually handle printers, I do have more than a passing
knowledge of them. You may contact me off list if you wish to discuss
further reaching a choice that will do well by you.

\\Steve//