Re: TB: Pests: Discouraging Cats

Do not use amonia, the cat urine smells like amonia and one should never use amonia to clean anything a cat might sniff as it would encourage urination for sure. Try mothballs or go to a pet supply store and get some repellent spray that would not harm plants. The latter is more effective than the former but if you do not live near a pet supply store you may have to use the moth balls or crystals instead. Just reapply often.

Matbeach1@aol.com wrote:

I have a problem with a neighborhood cat using two beds (one new bed with first year iris plants and one recently dug bed which will be planted in spring) for a litter box.

Does anyone have an idea for discouraging cats from using this spot? I was thinking of pouring something with ammonia around the beds in a ring, but I don't want to do this if it isn't safe, though.

Any ideas appreciated.

Mike in SCarolina
Zone 7b