Re: Cult: identification stakes

Chuck and all,

Your method works great for the large hybridizer or commercial grower.

However, for just the regular iris gardener or small hybridizer who have
display gardens, like I do, many people prefer something more finished and
less rough looking.

SEE FINE MARKERS listed in the back of the AIS bulletin supplies garden stakes
that are durable, attractive, and safe.  They have lasted year after year
since they are made out of galvanized metal. Before re-using, I take a steel
wool to the part of the stake that was underground, and it comes clean pretty
well.  The stakes are uniform looking, and come in different heights for
different irises.  The weather doesn't affect them at all. The metal is thick
enough to allow for just one rod to go into the ground rather than having two
rods like most stakes have, and there is a bend in the rod to secure it in the
ground from twisting sideways from the wind.  They hold their position
perfectly. They are strong, so when I whack them by accident with the hoe or
cultivator, they do not bend or break. I have even had them survive being run
over by the rototiller. They have a nice smooth rounded edge to them with
nothing that will cut up your hands or shins as you are working around them or
trying to affix or remove labels to/from them.

Our iris club has purchased these stakes in bulk the last few years and have
been given a quantity discount.  We are able to sell them to the club members
at a better price.  The club has used them to label all the irises in the trek
gardens when we hosted the spring trek, and not one complaint was had by
anyone about them.

There are many label makers out there today that are relatively inexpensive.
I used to use a Dymo labeler with the dial and hand crank.  This works fine,
but the lettering is small and your hand becomes tired.  The labels themselves
last years on the stakes.  They are a bit hard to pop off after a couple
years, though.

I now use a Casio label maker that costs around $45 to get.  They have plastic
(weatherproof) tape and large letters, the tape I use is 18mm thick (about 3/4
inch), but the machine does smaller sizes too.

The See Fine Markers holds 2 rows of this tape 3 inches wide. So you can put a
lot on there, like name, year of intro and hybridizer as long as all this info
is not to long.  Seedling numbers are large and can be seed from quite a
distance.  The tape comes in various colors, but I prefer black lettering on
white or silver tape.

The tape seems to last indefinitely, looking as good after 3 years as the
first, and it peels off pretty easily when you remove them slowly. The trick
is trying to get under the corner to pull it off. For those who have no nails,
a blade helps lift up the corner.

For a display bed, a nice finished uniform garden stake with large
machine-made lettering looks very smooth.

Patrick Orr
Phoenix, AZ Zone 9
USA