Re: TB: Pests: Discouraging Cats

Bill's comments concerning his cats brought some complex and vivid memories to

Renewable resource?  You had better believe it, and the pre-nuptial concert
Bill describes is heard for miles away.

My own cats always understood the iris beds and were very respectful of my
activities.  But since living in a multiple dwelling set here in NC, there
have been conflict with some tenants' cats.  One in particular, just to tell
me what he thought of me, had a habit of lunging vigorously at a bloomstalk in
premium condition--flattening it to the ground.

He also thought the pollen tags were great fun.  More stalks on the ground.
When he disappeared the only one to mourn him was the single, lonely female
human he had enslaved.

Well composted litter box leavings make great iris fertilizer if very
sparingly applied.  But cats are one thing, dogs are another.

Sam's Club had Cayenne Pepper in 16-oz units.  The clerks looked at me oddly
when checking out with two at a time.  Sprinkled liberally and repeatedly in
the paths used by the several neighborhood dogs the garden area came to be
avoided for some time.  Eventually they got the idea and went around another
way.  I didn't think of mouse traps--upside down!  What a useful thing to

Trouble is, putting a quarter of the Cayenne Pepper container out guarenteed
it would rain within 24-hours.  I tested this assumption on a number of
occasions and the probability of rain dramatically increased nearly every

Neil Mogensen   z 7 western NC mountains