Re: phonetic pronunciation

Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 14:25:36 EST
From: Matbeach1@aol.com
Subject: [iris] TB: OT: Phonetic Pronunciation, please ...
you wrote

This will sound weird to you all, but one of my best friends is named
"Amoena." Her mom, who is German, told her that she made the name up! It is
pronounced "Ah -- MER - na" -- like "Myrna" with an A in front.

I am wondering if you can tell me the correct pronunciation of this word as
it is applied to the iris plant.

I am also interested in the correct pronunciation of Joseph "Ghio" 's name.
(long E sound? long I sound?)

Again, I am just curious--
Thanks,
Mike in SC Zone 7b

The things are, that terms  used to describe all alive in the world
are used in Latin and to pronounce it correct to know basic Latin is
need. Our Lithuanian language use the same alphabet and pronuncation
of letters are almost the same, so we have no problems with it. The
word "Amoena" means "brilliant, splendid" and is pronounced so:
"A"-like "u" in "cup","m" as in English, diphtong "oe" sounds
like "yea" in word "year", "n" as in English too, last "a" like former.
Is it difficult?
When visiting in England I was shocked hearing that there Latin
binominals of plants are pronounced not as in Latin language, but
according rules of English language. First time I could not understand
what I am told. It is interesting how is in your country?

Best regards,
Edmundas Kondratas                         mailto:konde@delfi.lt