From: owner-iris@hort.net [mailto:owner-iris@hort.net]On Behalf Of Linda
Sent: Monday, February 21, 2005 5:41 PM
To: iris- talk
Subject: [iris] Re: phonetic pronunciation

Edmundas, I can hardly wait to read Bill Burleson's reply to this one

Pronunciation varies a lot in this country - I have a hard time
understanding what plant some nursery people are describing also.  Not
only strange rules of pronunciation, but added or missing syllables.

If there is a 'rule' for pronouncing Latin binomials in this country, I
don't think many people have agreed to follow it. <g>

But your comment sheds some light on some of the differences I've heard
among educated people (PhDs) - some probably learned from the English,
others follow Latin.

<When visiting in England I was shocked hearing that there Latin
                   binominals of plants are pronounced not as in Latin
language, but
                   according rules of English language. First time I
could not understand
                   what I am told. It is interesting how is in your

                   Best regards,
                   Edmundas Kondratas

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8