Re: Re: phonetic pronunciation

Edmundas Kondratas <konde@delfi.lt> wrote:
When visiting in England I was shocked hearing that there Latin
binominals of plants are pronounced not as in Latin language, but
according rules of English language. First time I could not understand
what I am told. It is interesting how is in your country?

I expect most people in the USA, especially non-professionals such as gardeners, pronounce words in botanical Latin the same way they would if the words  were in English. The difference from the way you observed that they do things in England is that in the USA there are no universally recognized rules for "proper" pronunciation of the English language. Personally, I pronounce "Amoena" similar to the way you described, but without  the "y" sound, like this, uh-mee-nuh.

At present you probably would not care to hear how I pronounce "snow" - three feet on the ground (that's 91.4 cm in Latin), and it keeps on coming!

Jeff Walters
in northern Utah
(USDA Zone 4)