Re: Re: phonetic pronunciation

In a message dated 2/21/05 5:09:43 PM Eastern Standard Time, konde@delfi.lt
writes:

<< When visiting in England I was shocked hearing that there Latin
 binominals of plants are pronounced not as in Latin language, but
 according rules of English language. First time I could not understand
 what I am told. It is interesting how is in your country?

In our country we understand that because no one really knows how Latin was
pronounced as a living language, there may well be several approaches to
pronouncing it as a dead language, and each approach may have some claim to
correctness.

Here is a useful guide to current American standard pronunciation.

<<http://www.taunton.com/finegardening/pages/spg017.asp>>

Cordially,

Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA