Re: Re: HUMOR: phonetic pronunciation

In a message dated 2/21/2005 4:41:57 PM Central Standard Time,
lmann@volfirst.net writes:

> Edmundas, I can hardly wait to read Bill Burleson's reply to this one
> <g>

The rules of Southern pronunciation are pretty simple.
Amoena for example might be correctly pronounced any of several ways here.

The "a" at the end would be sounded as "er" or "uh" or "I" as the user of the
word prefers just as can the "A" at the front.

Asked to use the word in a sentence a Southerner in polite company might
offer, There never was "a meaner" woman than my wife.

The same Southerner found in different company might matter of factly use the
same word pronounced differently. He might refer to Rusty Wallace after one
of his frequent NASCAR losses or to an old girlfriend as "uh moaner".

Here we put more stock in understandin' what people mean to say than how they
say what they mean. Latin? Italian? Makes no difference to us, long as all
"uh mean uh" to say what they mean.

As a point in passin', Southerners have too much to learn. We have a better
understandin' of binomial as it relates to mathmatical expression than as to
how it relates to plant or animal nomenclature. Are we really gonna' have to
start studyin' another language? "I mean I" can barely keep up with this one.

Bill Burleson