Re: phonetic pronunciation

>>> , but I think the pronunciation Neil mentioned as
<pahl-LEE-dah> is what I would be saying if I thought more about
it. <<<

Having studied classical Latin for five years, I was startled
when I went to my first AIS gathering and heard the phonetic
pronunciations. I had seen the terms (words) in print and had
them stored in memory (I thought).  I still pronounce pallida
like Neil does (or did - I lost track of who pronounces what and
when, etc.)

I chuckled when Anner wrote  and I paraphase: no one knows how
Latin was correctly pronounced (when it was a 'live' language).
No one ever told that to Sister Maura James and Sister Eleanor
Maria (my high school Latin teachers) and they both regularly
had us 'speak' Latin in class as opposed to just translating.
During my secular college days,  the professors in the Latin and
Greek Dept. coveted the R.C. academy grads but not enough to
make us major in Latin/Greek.

Cheers,

Ellen (so glad that my friend, Edmundas, is on this list again)

=====
Ellen Gallagher / ellengalla@yahoo.com / Editor, 'The Siberian Iris'
Berlin, New Hampshire - USDA Zone 3
~~
Siberian iris mailing list archives 1999 - 2004:
http://www.hort.net/lists/sibrob/    (1996 - 1998 messages not archived)
~~
The Society for Siberian Irises web page:  http://www.socsib.org