TB: Pests: Discouraging Cats

I might be verging on silly again here, but -

Walter's Honey Locust method reminded me of what I have done with potted
plants that I want my cats to stay out of.  I go buy bundles of cheap
kitchen forks and stick the handles into the pots, prongs up.  Enough forks
and the cats stay out.  They're cheap.  Haven't found any with an Iris
pattern yet, but a rose pattern is common (sort of horticultural).  I
hadn't thought of this yet for the potted cacti incident, but it may have
worked.  The forks don't hurt the cats, the cats avoid them; however,
outside in a bed, I suspect the cats would just work their magic around and
between the forks (unless you put lots of forks in, sort of like a bed of
nails - might be good for boosting soil trace metal levels too).

One problem is that the forks rust over time (you could use silver, but
they would tarnish), and they are sort of ugly even from the start (unless
you like that sort of thing - some of the local artists and politicians
seemingly do, judging by some of the sculptures the city of Albuquerque has
commissioned in recent years!).  If the plants are large enough, you don't
see the forks too much, but Iris foliage wouldn't hide them very well.  If
it is just a production area that doesn't have to be pretty, it might work.
I use it more for training when I get a new kitten of my own (the most
recent was about 10 years ago now, the cats are getting old).

I have used Cholla (cactus) branches laid out in beds to keep dogs out
before - works pretty well, but the cactus will take root and grow if you
leave them too long.  Doesn't work for cats.  Sort of the same idea as
Walter's, but with a southwestern flare.  It's an interesting look, but I
wouldn't call it attractive.

Sometimes it's simply amazing what plant people will do to protect their