Re: TB: Pests: Discouraging Cats

DFerguson@cabq.gov wrote:
What I have done with potted
plants that I want my cats to stay out of: I go buy bundles of cheap
kitchen forks and stick the handles into the pots, prongs up. Enough forks
and the cats stay out. They're cheap.

I have used Cholla (cactus) branches laid out in beds to keep dogs out
before - works pretty well, but the cactus will take root and grow if you
leave them too long. Doesn't work for cats.
Dave

Dave,

Even cheap forks cost $$$. I do something similar that involves less cash outlay. I cut the canes that I prune out of some very thorny shrub roses into 6-7" lengths and stick them thickly in the ground in areas of the garden that the cats have chosen for their necessary functions. It has proven to be a very reliable form of deterrent here. The dried out pieces of rose cane also blend into the background well and are not very noticeable (which is a plus, except when I forget that I put them there and start hand weeding in that area).

I'm surprised that the cholla branches didn't work with cats - they always seem highly intimidating to me. How high do they reach above ground level?

Jeff Walters
in northern Utah
(USDA Zone 4)